- Additional Title(s):
Title from explicit (leaf Aa8): Lyfe of olde auncyent faders
Prologue begins: Here foloweth the right deuoute, moche lowable, [and] reco[m]mendable lyff of the olde auncyent holy faders hermytes
Vitae patrum. English.
- Enprynted in the sayd towne of Westmynstre : Be my Wynkyn de Worde, the yere of Our Lorde 1495 ...
- Physical Description:
- , CCCxlvii [i.e. 348] leaves : ill. (woodcuts) ; 28 cm. (fol.)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsBR1705.A2 V525 1495+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- "By the blessyd [and] holy saynt Saynt Ierome ... [and] other solytarye relygyouse persones after hy[m] ...": leaf Aa2.
Imprint from colophon.
Signatures: Aa⁸ a-o⁸ p⁶ q-x⁸ y¹⁰ z-2t⁸ 2v-2x⁶.
Error in foliation: lxxxxiii repeated.
The title is xylographic (white on black).
Goff, F.R. Incunabula in American libraries, H-213
Copinger, W.A. Supplement to Hain's Repertorium bibliographicum, 2961
Proctor, R. Index to the early printed books in the British Museum, 9697
Pollard, A.W. Short-title catalogue of books printed in England, Scotland, & Ireland and of English books printed abroad, 1475-1640 (2nd ed.), 14507
Duff, E.G. Fifteenth century English books, 235
English short title catalogue, S109796
Grolier Club. Fifty-five books printed before 1525 (1968), 19
Hodnett, E. English woodcuts 1480-1535, pages 245-248
BAC: British Art Center copy bound 18th-century diced russia; edges trimmed and stained yellow. "At front are the bookplates of C.W. Dyson Perrins and C.L. Higgins. There is also a note in Higgins' hand tipped in stating that the book is 'quite perfect.' On the title leaf is the cipher of Lord Herbert of Cherbury (1583-1648). An 18th-century bookplate with the initials 'RW' is on the verso of the free endpaper. This copy was sold at Sotheby's on 18 April 1904 to Quaritch, with some other books from Higgins' library. It was sold again in the Dyson Perrins sale at Sotheby (9 June 1947) to Maggs. From Sir Arthur Howard."--Grolier Club.
- Subject Terms:
- Christian saints -- Biography.Fathers of the church -- Biography.Herbert of Cherbury, Edward Herbert, Baron, 1583-1648 -- Autograph.Hermits -- Biography.Higgins, Charles Longuet, 1806-1885 -- Bookplate.Incunabula in Yale Library.Perrins, Charles William Dyson, 1864-1958 -- Bookplate.
- Woodcuts -- 1495.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.