One hundred & fifty new designs / by Thos. Johnson, carver ; consisting of cielings [sic], chimney pieces, slab, glass & picture frames, stands for china &c., clock & watch cases, girondoles, brackets, grates, lanthorns, &c. &c. ; the whole well adapted for decorating all kinds of ornamental furniture, in the present taste ; engrav'd on 56 copper plates.
- Additional Title(s):
One hundred and fifty new designs
- London : Sold by Robert Sayer, at the Golden Buck, near Serjeants Inn, in Fleet Street, London, 1761.
- Physical Description:
- 4 pt. in 1 : all ill. ; 29 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNK1345 .J6 1761+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Related Content:
- View a digital copy of this edition, from the Digital Library for the Decorative Arts and Material Culture (University of Wisconsin)
- Engravings by Butler Clowes and James Kirk; after Thomas Johnson.
"This work is regularly divided into 4 parts"--Title page.
Each part has an engraved title page within ornamental border, counted as a plate.
Consists of 56 numbered plates, including four title-pages.
Without preface or text.
The plates were later issued (spuriously) under the name of T. Chippendale.
British Architectural Library. Early printed books, 1478-1840, p. 850
BAC: British Art Center copy in contemporary brown wrappers, rebacked. Plate 17 supplied from the second edition and inlaid to size.
- Subject Terms:
- Decoration and ornament, Rococo -- Early works to 1800.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1761.Interior decoration -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Pattern books -- England -- Early works to 1800.Sayer, Robert -- Publisher.
- Pattern books.
YCBA Collections Search
Johnson, Thos. (Thomas), 1714?-approximately 1778, One hundred & fifty new designs , 1761
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.