Lyric airs : consisting of specimens of Greek, Albanian, Walachian, Turkish, Arabian, Persian, Chinese and Moorish national songs and melodies ; (being the first selection of the kind ever yet offered to the public) : to which are added basses for the harp or piano-forte : likewise are subjoined, a few explanatory notes on the figures and movements of the modern Greek dances ; with a short dissertation on the origin of the ancient Greek music / most respectfully dedicated to Mrs. Musters, by the editor Edward Jones.
- London : Printed for the author. And sold at No. 3, in Green-Street, near Grosvenor-Square; by G. & J. Robinson, in Paternoster-Row; and by John White, at Horace's-Head, in Fleet-Street, 1804.
- Physical Description:
- vi, 24, 32 p.,  leaf of plates : ill., music ; 34 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsM1627 .J66 1804+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Frontispiece etching by Thomas Rowlandson; after Lewis Mayer.
Printed by A. Strahan, Printers-Street, London.
"The following works are published by the same author, The Musical Relicks of the Welsh Bards, Price 15s -- The Bardic Museum of Primitive British Literature, and other admirable Rarities ; containg also, The History of the Bards, their War-Songs, and other National Melodies of the Ancient Britons, Price 1l. 5s. and sold at the above places. Likewise, A Book of Musical Miscellany, Price 10s. 6d. -- Musical Remains, Price 10s. 6d. -- Musical Trifles, calculated for beginners on the harp, Price 7s. 6d. -- Musical bouquet, or popular songs and ballads, Price 7s. 6d. -- The Cheshire Melodies, Price 5s. &c. to be had at No. 3, Green-Street, Grosvenor-Square : and to be at the principal Music Shops."--Foot of title page.
"[Price 15s.] Entered at Stationers' Hall."--Foot of title page.
Abbey, J.R. Life, 417
Pages 1-32 (2nd count) consist of engraved music.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in contemporary quarter leather and marbled boards.
MUS: Gift of Professor Benjamin Foster.
- Subject Terms:
- Dance -- Greece.Music, Greek and Roman.National songs.
- Etchings -- Hand-colored -- 1804.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.