The gentlemen's or builder's companion : containing variety of useful designs for doors, gateways, peers, pavilions, temples, chimney-pieces, slab tables, pier glasses, or tabernacle frames ... / explained on copper plates by Wm. Jones.
- London : Printed for the author, 1739.
- Physical Description:
-  leaves, 60 [i.e. 56] leaves of plates : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNA2840 J6 1739Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Each folded plate counted as two.
Harris, E. British architectural books and writers, 1556-1785. Cambridge [England] : Cambridge University Press, 1994, c1990. 388
Contains twenty-eight new designs, not included in the 1736 edition, for rococo tables derived from Nicholas Pineau's 'Nouveau Desseins de Pieds de Tables', mirror frames, chimney-pieces in the classical style and ceilings with rococo ornament. Cf. Harris.
This, along with the 1736 edition by the same author, contains the oldest published designs for furniture by an English author. Cf. Harris.
Illustrations by J[ohn] Carwitham and B[enjamin] Cole; after William Jones.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture -- Details -- Early works to 1800.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1739.Furniture design -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Interior decoration -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.
YCBA Collections Search
Jones, William, -1757, The gentlemen's or builder's companion , 1739
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.