An essay on trees in landscape, or, An attempt to shew the propriety and importance of characteristic expression in this branch of art, and the means of producing it, with examples / by Edward Kennion.
- Additional Title(s):
Essay on trees in landscape
Attempt to shew the propriety and importance of characteristic expression in this branch of art, and the means of producing it, with examples
Kennion's essay on trees
Essay on trees
- London : Henry G. Bohn, York Street, Covent Garden, 1844.
- Physical Description:
- x, 48 p., L, [II] leaves of plates ( folded) : ill. ; 36 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNC810 .K46 1844+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Republication of the 1815 edition with a paste-on cancel imprint for Bohn with the statement: "This copy has, beside the usual number of fifty plates, four large unpublished landscapes by Kennion, and six picturesque studies of tress, beautifully etched by H. W. Williams. In all sixty plates.''
Printed by T. Bensley, Bolt Court, Fleet street.
Imprint from label on t.p.
Spine title: Kennion's essay on trees.
Illustrations by Edward Kennion and Hugh William Williams.
Williams' plates have engraved section title: Six etchings of local subjects from nature by H. W. Williams.
BAC: Bound in blind-stamped green publisher's cloth. Inscribed on verso of first free end-paper: R. D., 22 September 1877. London.
BAC: Copy appears to have two addtional, possibly extraneous plates (not included in pagination) One is numbered XIX, is dated 1796, by Kennion and bound following actual plate XIX. The other follows section title to Williams' plates.
BAC: 1815 pencilled on t.p.
- Subject Terms:
- Bensley, T. -- Printer.Bohn Henry. G., -- Publisher.Botanical illustration -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Drawing books -- Specimens.Landscape drawing, English.Plants in art.R. D. -- Autograph, 1877.Trees in art.
- Aquatints -- 1844.
Soft-ground etchings -- 1844.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Kennion, E, An essay on trees in landscape, or, An attempt to shew the propriety and importance of characteristic expression in this branch of art, and the means of producing it, with examples , 1844
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.