Ancient legends, or, Interesting and moral tales.
- Additional Title(s):
Interesting and moral tales
Ancient legends, or, Simple and romantic tales
- London : [J. Duncombe], 
- Physical Description:
- 12 pt. : ill. ; 21 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPN1851 .K47 1818Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Title from printed wrappers (or parts).
Later re-issued with a collective title: Ancient legends, or, Simple and romantic tales.
Anonymous. By John Kerr.
"Twelve colored etchings by G. and R. Cruikshank. Published originally in twelve numbers, one plate to each number ..."--Cf. Cohn.
Printed by Hay and Turner, Newcastle Street, Strand.
Publisher and date of publication from Cohn.
"The wrapper to the first number speaks of thirteen parts, but it is practically certain that only twelve were published. Either the thirteenth part was merely an extra containing the title page to the volume, index, etc., or the part was not issued. In the reissued by Carvalho the twelve parts only are referred to on the wrappers."--Cohn.
Cohn, A.M. Cruikshank, 462
BAC: British Art Center copy incomplete: lacks parts 2, 11, and 12. Written under each of the six plates in George Cruikshank's autograph are a few words stating by whom the plates were executed, and on one he states it is "Not by I.R.C. nor me. G.B.C." Original printed paper wrappers, except one pt. 10, which is in a plain (contemporary) paper wrapper.
- Subject Terms:
- Duncombe, J. -- Publisher.English drama -- 19th century.Hay and Turner -- Printer.
- Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1818.
- 1. Bellamira, or The fall of Tunis
- 2. Babelmunach, or The fatal isle of the Caspian Sea
- 3. Dulvarno
- 4. Kouli-Khan, or Tartar vengeance
- 5. Becamorto, the Cruel, or The outlaws of Calabria
- 6. Adelaide of Bavaria, or Love, honour, and perfidy
- 7. Don Phantissima, or Fortune and folly
- 8. Constantina, or the Daughter of affliction
- 9. Towers of Segovia, or Conjugal love
- 10. Spectre of Elwyna, or The haunted castle of the moor
- 11. The murdered minstrel, or The solitary castle of the glen
- 12. Dopinique and his mandoline, or The captive of the hollow oak.