Kinloch, C. W. (Charles Walter), -1893, De zieke reiziger, or, Rambles in Java and the straits , MDCCCLIII 
- De zieke reiziger, or, Rambles in Java and the straits : in 1852 / by a Bengal civilian ; with illustrations.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Zieke reiziger
Rambles in Java and the straits
- London : Simpkin, Marshal and Co., Stationers' Hall Court ; Teignmouth : George Henry Croydon, Royal Library ; Calcutta : Thacker, Spink and Co. ; Bombay : Thacker and Co., MDCCCLIII 
Teignmouth : Printed by E. and G.H. Croydon, Royal Library
- Physical Description:
- xii, 139,  pages, [2̃5] leaves of plates : illustraions, map ; 25 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDS646.2 K5 1853Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Originally attributed to William Edwards, the author of several works on India published under the pseudonymof "A Bengal civilian." Latter attributed to C.W. Kinloch by Halkett & Laing and Abbey.
Lithographs by William Spreat.
"Published at £1. 1s. in cloth."--Abbey.
Printer's statement on the verso of the title page and at the foot of page 139: "Printed by E. and G.H. Croydon, Royal Library, Teignmouth."--page [ii], 139.
"Tinted lithographs (two tints)."--Abbey
The last page is blank.
Abbey, J.R. Travel in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 556
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Plate numbers 5 and 7 hand-colored. Bound in half morocco, gilded edges.
- Plates: Map of the Island of Java -- [Lithograph title page] -- A sketch on the Penang Hill -- Singapore, from the east side of Government Hill -- A sketch from Cummings Bukit, Singapore -- A Javanese man of the poorer class; a Javanese woman, a lady's maid -- Dutch church at Batavia -- A Javanese coachman -- The Salok Mountain, from the Buitenzorg Hotel -- Javanese Mosque, at Bandong -- The tea plant -- The coffee plant -- Soemadang Hotel, from the bridge -- A woman of Cheribon -- Cheribon, as seen from the Steamer Koningen -- Passengrang at Bomiagoe -- A village near Kubooman -- Head of the figure on the right side of the sketch of Boro Bodor Temple; figure near Boro Bodor -- Interior of the Temple of Tjandie -- The entrance to Boro Bodor Temple -- Tjandie, Dapor, near Boro Bodor -- The nutmeg just before it drops -- Singapore, from the west side of Government Hill -- A sketch on the Penang Hill -- Penang, from Richmond Hill.
- Subject Terms:
- Indonesia -- Description and travel.Java (Indonesia) -- Description and travel.Perak (Malaysia) -- Description and travel.Singapore -- Description and travel.Sunda Strait (Indonesia) -- Description and travel.
- Lithographs -- 1853.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.