Life in Paris : comprising the rambles, sprees, and amours of Dick Wildfire of Corinthian celebrity and his bang up companions Squire Jenkins and Captain O'Shuffleton : with the whimsical adventures of the Halibut family : including sketches of a variety of other eccentric characters in the French metropolis / by David Carey ; embellished with twenty-one coloured plates, representing scenes from Real Life, designed and engraved by Mr. George Cruikshank ; enriched also with twenty-two engravings on wood, drawn by the same artist and executed by Mr. White.
- London : Printed for John Fairburn, Broadway, Ludgate Hill; Sold by Sherwood, Neely, and Jones; Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, and Brown; and Baldwin, Craddock and Joy; Paternoster-Row, Simpkin and Marshall, Stationers court, Whittakers Ave Maria-Lane; Humphry, St. James Street and Wilson, Royal Exchange, 1822.
- Physical Description:
- xxiv, 489 p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 23 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDC715 .C27 1822 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsDC715 .C27 1822 Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsDC715 .C27 1822+ Copy 3 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Abbey, J.R. Travel in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 112
BEIN 1978 1303: Imperfect: half-title, final l. "To the binder" and plate "Dick Wildfire and Squire Jenkins seeing 'Real life'" wanting.
The wood engravings are probably by Henry White.
Printed by Marchant, Printer, Ingram Court, London.
Originally issued in 21 parts in paper wrappers on small and large paper and on completion in buff pictorial boards with the vignette of the title page repeated on the upper cover, 2 woodcuts on back cover and on the spine. This was lettered Demy edition £1 1s.
Leaf 143-144 exists in two states: (1) Text begins "Dick had no jealous apprehensions", (2) Text begins "After dinner".
Added engraved t. p.
Cohn, A.M. George Cruikshank, 109
Tooley, R.V. English books with coloured plates, 1790-1860, 129
BAC: British Art Center has three copies. Copy 1 is the Abbey copy. Large paper copy cut down by the binder. Final "To the binder" leaf present. Bound in at end is a specimen part wrapper, on pink paper, as used for the large paper copies. There is a publisher's advertisement tipped into to this specimen wrapper. Bound in gilt-stamped brown morroco. Both states of leaf 143-144 present in copy.
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 in original buff pictorial boards. Spine title: Life in Paris by David Carey. Demy Edition, Price £1 : 1 : 0. 1822. Leaf 143-144 in state (2). Final "To the binder" leaf wanting. Bookplate: Lucius Wilmerding.
BAC: British Art Center copy 3 is in XXI original parts. Pages 143-144 are in the uncancelled state. Pages 335-336 are also in the uncancelled state. On Page 143 there is no mention of the Cafe de Mille Colonnes. On page 335 there is no mention of the Cafe d'Enfer. "To the Binder' leaf not present.
- Subject Terms:
- Baldwin, Craddock and Joy -- Bookseller.Fairburn, John -- Publisher.France -- Description and travel.Humphry -- Bookseller.Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, and Brown -- Bookseller.Marchant -- Printer.Paris (France) -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Sherwood, Neely, and Jones -- Bookseller.Simpkin and Marshall -- Bookseller.Wilmerding, Lucius -- Bookplate. (BAC,RB Copy 2)Wilson -- Bookseller.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1822.
Wood engravings -- 1822.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.