Ladbrooke, Robert, 1768-1842, Ladbrooke's views of the churches in the county of Norfolk
Ladbrooke's views of the churches in the county of Norfolk.
- Additional Title(s):
Views of the churches in the county of Norfolk
- [Norwich] : [John Berney Ladbrooke?] :
- Physical Description:
- 7 v. : all ill. ; 26 x 29 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA670.N6 L33 1843+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Consists of 695 lithographed plates (as listed in the index to each volume), 7 leaves of indexes (collated with Blomefield's County History of Norfolk), 7 lithographed title pages, and a printed subscriber's list.
The majority of plates are unsigned. John Berney Ladbrooke's name appears on 186 plates; James Sillett, on 31; and William B. Ladbrooke, on 2. Robert Ladbrooke's name is not recorded on any plate, but he may haven been responsible for the unsigned lithographs.
Calligraphic lithographic titlepage designed and executed by John Hunt.
Most of the drawings of the churches of Norwich are signed "J.S.", and one "J. Sillet" (i.e. James Sillett).
Some plates printed by Rowney & Forster; a smaller number by Charles Hullmandel.
Most plates are undated; of those bearing dates, most are between 1821 and 1825, with a small number between 1825 and 1832.
A subsequent editions was published in 1843 by Charles Muskett.
British Museum. General catalogue of printed books to 1955 (compact edition), v. 14, p. 617
BAC: British Art Center copy bound (7 v. in 4) in half maroon diced leather with marbled boards. Extra-illustrated with 11 additional plates not listed in the indexes and a lithographed portrait of the author. With a note in ms tipped in at front of v. 1 describing the contents of this set.
- Subject Terms:
- Church architecture -- England -- Norfolk.Church buildings -- England -- Norfolk -- Pictorial works.Landscape -- England -- Norfolk.Norfolk (England) -- Pictorial works.
- Lithographs -- 1836.
Extra-illustrated copies (Provenance)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.