Hints for dwellings : consisting of original designs for cottages, farm-houses, villas, &c., plain and ornamental : with plans to each : in which strict attention is paid to unite convenience and elegance with economy : including some designs for town houses / by D. Laing, architect and surveyor ; elegantly engraved, in aqua-tinta, on thirty-four plates, with appropriate scenery.
- London : Printed by S. Gosnell, Little Queen Street, Holborn, for J. Taylor, at the Architectural Library, No. 59, High Holborn, 1800.
- Physical Description:
- 15,  p.,  leaves of plates : ill., plans ; 30 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNA7132 .L35 1800+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Engravings by James Baily.
There are 34 plates numbered 1-34 at top right (in early states plate 6 is misnumbered '7' and plate 26 is misnumbered '20'). Plates 1-10 and 31 have aquatint elevations and ground plans on the same plate. Plates 11-30 and 32-34 are divided between full-page aquatint elevations and full page engraved plans for larger houses. All are printed in sepia.
Also reprinted with minor alterations for an 1801 edition, with further editions (or reissues) dated 1804, 1818 ('A new edition.'), 1823 and 1841.
English short title catalogue, T090189
Archer, J. British domestic architecture, 170.1
British Architectural Library. Early printed books, 1478-1840, 1715
Printed by S. Gosnell, Little Queen Street, Holborn.
BAC: British Art Center copy in early state: plate 6 misnumbered 7; corrected in ink. Plate 26 misnumbered 20. Publisher's advertisements, (4 p.) at end. Inscribed:Thos. Bradley.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture, Domestic -- Designs and plans.Architecture, Domestic -- Great Britain.Bradley, Thos. -- Autograph.Cottages -- Great Britain -- Designs and plans.Farmhouses -- Great Britain -- Designs and plans.Gosnell, S. -- Printer.Taylor, J. -- Publisher.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1800.
Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1800.
Publisher's advertisements -- England -- London -- 1800.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.