The principles of design : for the curious young gentleman and ladies, who study and practice the noble and commendable art of drawing, colouring and japanning : or a new and complete drawing book consisting of [a] variety of whole figures in divers positions, and all the several parts of the human body from head to foot, &c. in fifty copper-plates, neatly engraved: designed chiefly for young beginners, very necessary and useful for all drawing-schools, boarding-schools, &c. ; to which is prefixed An introduction to drawing ... / translated from the French of Monsieur Gerrard de Lairesse.
- Additional Title(s):
Introduction to drawing.
Grondlegginge ter teekenkonst. English
- London : Printed for H. Serjeant, at the Black Swan, near Temple-Bar, 1777.
- Physical Description:
- 58 p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 13 x 21 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN7420 L213 1777Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Engraved pictorial half-title: The principles of design a compleat drawing book for the amusement of youth.
Running title: Introduction to drawing.
Two etchings on each of 23 plates; several are numbered irregularly.
Timmers, J.J.M. Lairesse, p. 81, no. 7.
At foot of t.p.: [Price four shillings.].
- Subject Terms:
- Art -- Early works to 1800.Composition (Art)Drawing -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.Drawing -- Technique.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1777.Etching -- Specimens -- 1777.Painting -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.Painting -- Technique.Serjeant, H. -- Publisher.
- Drawing books.
Handbooks and manuals.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.