Landmann, George Thomas, 1780-1854, Historical, military, and picturesque observations on Portugal , 1818
- Historical, military, and picturesque observations on Portugal : illustrated by seventy-five coloured plates, including authentic plans of the sieges and battles fought in the Peninsula during the late war / by George Landmann, Lieutenant-Colonel in the Corps of Royal-Engineers, the same rank in the Spanish Corps of Engineers, with brevet rank of Colonel.
- London : Printed for T. Cadell and W. Davies, Strand, by W. Bulmer and Co. Cleveland-Row, St. James's, 1818.
- Physical Description:
- 2 v. : ill. ; 40 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2009 12Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Engravings by Joseph Jeakes, Joseph Constantine Stadler, John Hill, Daniel Havell, John Ogborne, and James Baily; after George Landmann.
"The title-page claims seventy-five plates including the maps; actually seventy-six were issued, Number 11 (Alcacer do Sal ... from the East, Estramadura) being omitted from the list of plates in Volume II."--Abbey.
Abbey, J.R. Travel 140
Tooley, R.V. Coloured plates (1973 ed.), 291
BAC: British Art Center is the Abbey copy. Bound in half calf marbled paper-covered boards.
- Subject Terms:
- Cadell, T. -- Publisher.Davies, W. -- Publisher.Engraving, Colored -- Specimens -- 1818.Portugal -- Description and travel.Portugal -- History.W. Bulmer and Co. -- Printer.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1818.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.