The gentleman's recreations : in three parts : the first part contains a short and easie introduction to all the liberal arts and sciences, &c. : the second treats of horsemanship, hawking, hunting, fowling, fishing, agriculture, &c. : done from the most authentick authors, especially several lately printed at Paris, as may be seen in the preface; with great enlargements, made by those well experienced in the respective recreations. : the third is a complete body of all our forest, chace, and game-laws, as they are at this time. : the whole illustrated with near an hundred copper-cuts relating to the several subjects, particularly all sorts of nets, engines, traps, &c. are added for the taking of wild beasts, fowl, fish, &c. not hitherto publish'd by any.
- The second edition corrected, with near one half of additions.
- London : Printed for R. Bonwicke, at the Red-Lion in St. Paul's Church-Yard; J. Walthoe, in the Middle Temple-Cloysters; W. Freeman, T. Goodwin, M. Wotton, and B. Tooke, in Fleet Street near Temple-Bar; J. Nicholson, at the Queen's-Arms in Little-Britain; S. Manship at the ship in Cornhil; and R. Smith, under the Royal-Exchange, 1709-1710.
- Physical Description:
- 3 v. in 1 : ill. ; 41 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2011 67Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BEIN 1972 Folio 5: Another copy of pt.  bound with his Gentleman's recreation. In two parts . ... London, 1686. 42 cm.
Added engraved title page: The gentlemans recreation by R. Blome.
Part III has no volume number. Title page reads: The laws of the forest and game: and also, of hunting, hawking, fishing, and fowling, according to the common and statute-laws of England. [London] : Printed by J. Nutt for R. Bonwick [etc.], 1709.
Includes 78 engraved plates--one of which is signed "F.H. Van Hoven sculp."--and 237 woodcuts in the text.
Parts II & III are dated 1709 and have varying imprints.
Part I: ,189,192,195-290p.; text and register are continuous
Pages omitted in numbering: pt. I, p. 190-191, 193-194, 196; pt. II, p. 82.
ESTC (RLIN), T135908
Podeschi, J.B. Horse and horsemanship, no. 39
Snelgrove, D. British sporting and animal prints, p. 46
Alston, R.C. Engl. language, III, 202
List of subscribers: p.  at beginning.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in Cambridge-style calf. Binder's label: W. Woodburn, 112 St. Martin's Lane.
- Subject Terms:
- Agriculture -- Early works to 1800.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1709-1710.Fishing -- Early works to 1800Fowling -- Early works to 1800.Hunting -- Early works to 1800.Mathematics -- Early works to 1800.Rolfe, Strickland Charles Edward Neville -- Bookplate (BEIN 1976 Folio 24)Science -- Early works to 1800.Veterinary medicine -- Early works to 1800.Woodburn, W. -- Bookbinder.Woodcut -- Specimens -- 1709-1710.
- Subscribers' lists.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.