The theatre of the empire of Great-Britain : presenting an exact geography of the kingdom of England, Scotland, Ireland, and the isles adjoyning : as also the shires, hundreds, cities and shire-towns within the kingdom of England and principality of Wales : with a chronology of the civil-wars in England, Wales and Ireland : together with a prospect of the most famous parts of the world, viz. Asia, Africa, Europe, America : with these empires and kingdoms therein contained, viz. Grecia, Roman-Empire, Germany, Bohemia, France, Belgia, Spain, Italy, Hungary, Denmark, Poland, Persia, Turkish-Empire, Kingdom of China, Tartaria, Summer-Islands / by John Speed.
- Additional Title(s):
Second book: containing the principality of Wales
Brief description of the civil wars, and battails fought in England, Wales, and Ireland
Third book: containing a general view of the kingdom of Scotland
Fourth book: containing the kingdom of Ireland
Prospect of the most famous parts of the world
- In this new edition are added, in the theatre of Great-Britain, the principal roads, and their branches leading to the cities and chief towns in England and Wales, with their computed distances, in a new and accurate method. ... In the prospect of the world, rhe Empire of the Great Mogul, with the rest of the East-Indies, Palestine, or the Holy-Land, the Empire of Russia.
- London : Printed for Thomas Basset at the George in Fleet-Street, and Richard Chiswel at the Rose and Crown in St. Paul's Church-yard, MDCLXXVI 
- Physical Description:
- , 126, 5-6, 5-8, , 129-146, , 56,  pages,  leaves of plates : illustrations, coats of arms, tables ; 46 cm (folio)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2023 29 Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2023 29 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- Scales differ.
- BEIN 1976 Folio 108: Imperfect: fourth double l. before p.  mutilated.
BEIN 1973 Folio 40 Copy 2: Imperfect: wanting signatures A, E, Y, Z and Bb of part 5 in copy 2. Variant sig. D (possibly from an earlier edition) in first part; table of contents is not complete for this edition.
With additional engraved title page signed: R. White sculp.
"The second book: containing the principality of Wales" has separate dated title page on leaf 3F1r; pagination and register are continuous.
"A brief description of the civil wars, and battails fought in England, Wales, and Ireland" (caption title) has separate pagination and register (3*-3*2²)
"The third book: containing a general view of the kingdom of Scotland" and "The fourth book: containing the kingdom of Ireland" each have separate dated title page; pagination and register continuous from "The second book."
"A prospect of the most famous parts of the world" has separate dated title page, pagination and register.
Relief shown pictorially.
With all maps printed on the inner forme of the register, and text printed on the outer forme.
Maps ornamented with the arms of the country and of the nobility, and have border illustrations of figures in national costumes and of views of cities. Many maps also have plans of cities, views of castles, cathedrals and other interesting features.
The additions referred to include distance tables of five of the principal roads from London, in the Theatre, and maps of Virginia, New England, Jamaica, Barbados and Carolina in the Prospect.
Signatures: [A]² B-3U² 3*-3*2² 3X-4H² chi1, ²A-²2E².
Title page printed in red and black; title within double rule border; text printed in two columns; head- and tail-pieces; initials.
English short title catalogue, R13825
Chubb, T. Printed maps in the atlases of Great Britain and Ireland, p. 37-40
Wing, D.G. Short-title catalogue of books printed in England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, and British America, and of English books printed in other countries, 1641-1700 (CD-ROM. 1996), S4886
List of geographical atlases in the Library of Congress, 488
List of geographical atlases in the Library of Congress, 5949
Includes index (4F-4H²). In some copies the index is bound after A prospect, although the index covers the Theatre only.
BAC Folio A 2023 29 Copy 1: Bound in contemporary full calf; rebacked. Largely un-colored. Index is bound at the end of The theatre.
BAC Folio A 2023 29 Copy 2: Bound in contemporary full calf; rebacked. With hand-colored maps throughout. Bookplate: Glyndebourne. Index is bound following A prospect.
- Subject Terms:
- America -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.America -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.Glyndebourne -- Bookplate.Great Britain -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Great Britain -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.Jones, J. -- Autograph (BEIN 1976 Folio 108)
YCBA Collections Search
Speed, John, 1552?-1629, The theatre of the empire of Great-Britain , MDCLXXVI