Speed, John, 1552?-1629, The theatre of the empire of Great-Britain,, 1676
- The theatre of the empire of Great-Britain, presenting an exact geography of the kingdom of England, Scotland, Ireland, and the isles adjoyning ... with a chronology of the civil-wars in England, Wales and Ireland. Together with A prospect of the most famous parts of the world ... New ed. ...
- Alternate Title(s):
- Theatre of the Empire of Great Britaine
- London: Printed for Thomas Basset ... and Richard Chiswel, 1676.
- Physical Description:
- 9 p.l., 94 numb. l., -98 p., 99-126 numb. l.,  p., 5 double l., -129 p., 131-132 numb. l., -135 p., 137-145 numb. l., 1 l., 56 numb. l.,  p. incl. 96 double maps., front., 5 double tables. 45 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsAtlas 33 (Folio A)Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.Rare Books and ManuscriptsAtlas 76 (Folio A)Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BEIN 1976 Folio 108: Imperfect: fourth double l. before p.  mutilated.
BEIN 1973 Folio 40 Copy 2: Imperfect: wanting signatures A, E, Y, Z and Bb of part 5 in copy 2. Variant sig. D (possibly from an earlier edition) in first part; table of contents is not complete for this edition.
Added engr. t.-p.
Signatures: 4 l. unsigned, B-Z, Aa-Zz, Aaa-Uuu, ***-***2², 5 double l. unsigned, Xxx-Zzz, Aaaa-Eeee², 1 l. unsigned, A-Z, Aa-Ee, Efff-Hhhh².
Text on the reverse of each map.
Maps are ornamented with the arms of the country and of the nobility, and have border illustrations of figures in national costumes and of views of cities. Many maps have, also, plans of cities, views of castles, cathedrals and other interesting features.
Maps engraved by F. Lamb, A. Goos, D. Grijp, I. Hondius, Corn. Danckertsz and E. Sijmons z. Hamers veldt.
Thomas Chubb's Printed maps in the atlases of Great Britain and Ireland, 1927, 37-40.
For fuller description see Phillips-LeGear 5949 and 488 and Thomas Chubb's Printed maps in the atlases of Great Britain and Ireland, 1927, p. 37-40.
BAC::bound with Prospect, 1676
- Subject Terms:
- Atlases -- Early works to 1800.Great Britain -- Maps.Jones, J. -- Autograph (BEIN 1976 Folio 108)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.