The English pilot: describing the sea-coasts, capes, head-lands, soundings, sands, shoals, rocks and dangers; the bayes, roads, harbors, rivers and ports in the northern and southern navigation shewing the courses and distances ... and many other necessary things belonging to the practical part of navigation, being furnished with new and exact draughts, charts, and descriptions ... Collected for the general use of our countrymen, by Iohn Seller ...
- [London, Printed by J. Darby] and are to be sold by the author at the signe of the Marriners Compass, at the Hermitage-stairs in Wapping [1671-72]
- Physical Description:
- 2 v. in 1. illus., maps (part double), ports. 45 cm.
- Rare Books and Manuscripts(Folio A) Atlas 29aYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BEIN Copy 1: Added map: "A chart of the sea coasts of England, Flanders & Holland" wanting.
BEIN Copy 2: "An appendix of the first book" (8 p.) wanting. Maps in different states and sequences. Added map: "Novissima totius terrarum orbis tabula".
BEIN: No. 374 in H.C. Taylor collection.
Engraved t.-p.; each vol. has also special t.-p.
According the preface, Seller had planned the work in 4 books. The Brit. Mus. Cat. v. 218, 698 lists a copy with the 3d book of which 24 p. were published.
Phillips 3985 (book 1 only).
Adams, T.R. English maritime books printed before 1801, 857, 896
- Subject Terms:
- Nautical charts -- Africa -- To 1800.Nautical charts -- Europe -- To 1800.Pilot guides -- Africa.Pilot guides -- Europe.Tighe family -- Binding (Copy 2)Tweedale, John Hay, marquis of, 1645-1713 -- Bookplate (Copy 1).
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.