Chaucer, Geoffrey, -1400, The works of Geoffrey Chaucer , Finished on the 8th day of May, 1896]
The works of Geoffrey Chaucer : now newly imprinted.
- Additional Title(s):
- [Hammersmith] Printed by me William Morris at the Kelmscott press, Upper Mall, Hammersmith, in the county of Middlesex. Finished on the 8th day of May, 1896]
- Physical Description:
- 4 blank l., ii p., 1 l., 554 p. illus. 43 x 30 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2009 90 Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2009 90 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- BEIN 1977 Folio 29: One of an ed. of 13 copies printed on vellum.
BEIN 1977 Folio 29: One of two copies bound in pigskin, designed by W. Morris, at The Doves Bindery, 1897.
BEIN IIdz 896 Copy 2: Rebound in brown crushed levant, inlaid inside and out, levant doublure, with two silver clasps. Bound by Zaehnsdorf in 1900.
"Here ends the book of the Works of Geoffrey Chaucer, edited by F.S. Ellis; ornamented with pictures designed by Sir Edward Burne-Jones, and engraved on wood by W.H. Hooper."--Colophon.
"The hearty thanks of the editor and printer are due to the reverend Professor Skeat for kindly allowing the use of his emendations to the Ellesmere ms. of the Canterbury tales, and also of his emended texts of Chaucer's other writings. The like thanks also the editor and printer give to the delegates of the Oxford university press for allowing them to avail themselves of Professor Skeat's permission."--Colophon.
"Besides Burne-Jones's eighty-seven pictures, it contains a full-page woodcut title, fourteen large borders, eighteen borders or frames for the pictures, and twenty-six large initial words. All of these, besides the ornamented initial letters large and small, were designed by Morris himself."--The life of William Morris by J.W. Mackail, v.2, p. 326.
Edition of 425 copies on paper and 13 copies on vellum.
Side notes and headings in red.
Peterson, W.S. Kelmscott Press, A40
Paul Mellon's legacy, 148
BAC: British Art Center copy 1 is bound in original quarter holland and blue paper boards, with printed spine label. A signed presentation copy from Morris and Burne-Jones to Algernon Swinburne, dated 12 July 1896. Accompanied by a letter of appreciation from Swinburne to Morris, removed to folder.
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 is bound in original quarter holland and blue paper boards, with printed spine label. Autograph: Arthur J. Gaskin.
- Subject Terms:
- Burne-Jones, Edward Coley, 1833-1898 -- Pres. insc. to Algernon Swinburne, 1896 July 12. (BACRB Copy 1)Doves Bindery -- Binding. (BEIN 1977 Folio 29)Gaskin, Arthur J. -- Autograph. (BACRB Copy 2)Kelmscott Press.Morris, William, 1834-1896 -- Pres. insc. to Algernon Swinburne, 1896 July 12. (BACRB Copy 1)Rosenbloom, Charles J. -- Bookplate (BEIN 1977 Folio 29)Swinburne, Algernon Charles, 1837-1909 -- Pres. insc. from William Morris and Edward Coley Burne-Jones, 1896 July 12. (BACRB Copy 1)Woodcut -- Specimens -- 1896.Zaehnsdorf (Firm) -- Binding. (BEIN IIdz 896 Copy 2)
- Pigskin bindings (Binding)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.