The progress of a water-coloured drawing : wherein is represented to the Learner the various gradation through which a drawing passes from the outline to its finished state : this work, consisting of fourteen tinted lessons, imitative of the original drawings which were made for the purpose of it by John Laporte ...
- London : Printed by James Whiting ... for ... G. Testolini ... and may be had of Mr. John Laporte ... [and 4 others], [ca. 1811].
- Physical Description:
- vii,  p., , 14 leaves of plates : ill. ; 24 x 33 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsND2430 L36 1811+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- First leaf is plate with b&w engraved advertisement for "G. Testolini, Engraver, Printseller & Frame Maker. ... Superfine watercolours ... [and other art supplies]".
Each plate is followed by  or 2 p. of text.
Abbey, J.R. Life in England in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 149.
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy.
BAC: Watermark on British Art Center copy is dated 1810.
Contains numerous color specimens in the text.
Price two guineas at foot of t.p.
- Subject Terms:
- Drawing -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.Drawing -- Technique.Testolini, G. -- Publisher.Watercolor painting -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.Watercolor painting -- Technique.Whiting, James -- Printer.
- Handbooks and manuals.
Soft-ground etchings -- Hand-colored -- [ca. 1811].
Engravings -- [ca. 1811].
YCBA Collections Search
Laporte, John, 1761-1839, The progress of a water-coloured drawing , [ca. 1811]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.