A new book of shipping , 1796
- A new book of shipping : on six plates.
- London : Laurie and Whittle, 1796.
- Physical Description:
- 6 leaves of plates : all ill. ; 27 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsVM307 .N49 1796Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- The artists are unidentified. The collections of the National Maritime Museum include a related set of engravings by Robert Laurie, after Thomas Buttersworth (produced in 1795).
Title from caption (at top) of first plate.
Date of publication from plates.
BAC: British Art Center copy with graphite annotations on some of the plates.
- 1. A quarter view of the Hebe Frigate, with a larboard tack on board -- 2. The Cumberland -- 3. The Mercury of 28 guns on a starboard tack -- 4. The Southampton Frigate on a cruise -- 5. An outward bound East Indiaman laying too on a contrary wind, taking a pilot on board -- 6. The Greyhound excise cutter.
- Subject Terms:
- Ships -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Ships -- Pictorial works -- Early works to 1800.Transportation -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.
- Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1796.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.