Scotiae Regni Antiqvissimi Accvrata Descriptio / Io Leslavs, Epus Rossen.
- Additional Title(s):
Scotiae Regni Antiquissimi Accurata Descriptio
- Romae : Natalis Bonifacius, MDLXXVIII 
- Physical Description:
- 1 map : engraving ; 40.5 x 53.5 cm, on sheet, 41.5 x 54.5 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio C 2010 1hYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- Scale not given.
- Relief shown pictorially.
Features include ships and sea monsters.
Ornate cartouche with crests.
Orientated with north to the right.
Skelton, R.A. "Bishop Leslie's Maps of Scotland, 1578." In: Imago Mundi, VII (1950) p. 103-106
BAC: British Art Center copy uncolored.
Selected exhibitions: "The Mapmaker's art : 300 years of British cartography" (Yale Center for British Art, January 17-March 12, 1989).
The first separately printed map of Scotland. Leslie based his map on one published in a 1573 atlas produced by Abraham Ortelius, but altered many of the place names and corrected the shape of some of the Western Isles.
- Subject Terms:
- Scotland -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.Scotland.
- Early works.
Maps -- Scotland.
Engravings -- 1578.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Leslie, John, 1527-1596, Scotiae Regni Antiqvissimi Accvrata Descriptio , MDLXXVIII