IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Lewis, Frederick Christian, 1779-1856, The scenery of the rivers Tamar and Tavy , 1823
The scenery of the rivers Tamar and Tavy : in forty-seven subjects, exhibiting the most interesting views on their banks : from the source of the termination of each : including a view of the breakwater at Plymouth / drawn and engraved by F.C. Lewis.
- Additional Title(s):
Scenery of the River Tamar, and the River Tavy.
- London : Published by John and Arthur Arch, Cornhill : 1823.
- Physical Description:
-  p., 21, 17 leaves of plates : ill. ; 40 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2009 98 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2009 98 Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Added engraved title page: Scenery of the River Tamar, and the River Tavy ...
The first section, on the River Tamar, includes an engraved dedication leaf (to the Duke of Bedford) and a total of 24 views on 20 leaves of plates.
The second section, on the River Tavy, includes an engraved dedication leaf (to the Marquis of Tavistock) and a total of 23 views on 17 leaves of plates.
List of subscribers: p. .
Abbey, J.R. Scenery of Great Britain and Ireland in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 120
BAC: British Art Center has two copies. Copy 1 is the Abbey copy. Has hand-colored etchings. Bound in original grey paper boards, with publisher's printed title label. Copy 2 is similarly bound (without spine lalbel), with uncolored etchings. Etchings printed on India paper. Includes publisher's addendum tipped in at front, which includes a note on the price: "The price of the work is unavoidably raised from £2 4s. to £2 10s. on the account of the plates requiring to be printed on India paper."
- Subject Terms:
- Arch, John and Arthur -- Publisher.Etching -- Specimens -- 1823.Etching, Colored -- Specimens -- 1823.Rivers -- England -- Pictorial works.Tamar River (England) -- Pictorial works.Tavy River (England) -- Pictorial works.Triphook, R. -- Publisher.West Country (England) -- Pictorial works.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.