IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Mathews, Charles, 1776-1835, The London Mathews , [1826?]
The London Mathews : containing an account of this celebrated actor's memorandum book, of peculiarities, characters, and manners, collected by him in his various trips, and several other humorous songs, (all adpted to well-known airs.), viz. Memoranda in confusion, The night coach, "Bubbles", a capital song, The sailing match, Old and new times, Public office, Bow street, Finale, and a monopolylogue, intitled [sic], The Crown Inn Danger : embellished with seven copper-plate engravings.
- London : Printed by and for William Cole, No. 10, Newgate Street, [1826?]
- Physical Description:
- 36 p.,  folded leaf of plates : ill. ; 16 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR4984.M88 .L66 1826Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Frontispiece illustration, by William Heath, represents Mathews in 7 characters.
"Price sixpence" at foot of t.p.
Publisher's advertisments on front wrapper and on verso of end wrapper.
BAC: British Art Center copy in original orange printed wrappers.
- Subject Terms:
- Acting -- Great Britain.Actors -- Great Britain.Ballads, English.Cole, William -- Publisher.Engraving, Colored -- Specimens -- 1826.Folk songs, English.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Theater -- Great Britain -- 18th century.Theater -- Great Britain -- 19th century.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.