Lorrain, Claude, 1600-1682, Liber veritatis, or, A collection of prints, after the original designs of Claude le Lorrain in the collection of His Grace the Duke of Devonshire , -1819
- Liber veritatis, or, A collection of prints, after the original designs of Claude le Lorrain in the collection of His Grace the Duke of Devonshire / executed by Richard Earlom in the manner and taste of the drawings ; to which is added a descriptive catalogue of each print, together with the names of those for whom, and the places for which, the original pictures were first painted (taken from the hand-writing of Claude le Lorrain on the back of each drawing) and of the present possessors of many of the original pictures.
- London : Boydell and Co., -1819.
- Physical Description:
- 3 v. : chiefly ill., ports. ; 42 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2011 42Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "... a landmark in the history of reproduction of master drawings ... contain[ing] 300 reproductions of drawings by Claude Lorrain ... called Liber Veritatis for the purpose of identifying Claude's genuine works from forgeries ... in short, a real catalogue raisonné."--Abbey.
Title of v. 3 reads: Liber veritatis, or, A collection of prints, after the original designs of Claude le Lorrain, in the collection of His Grace the Duke of Devonshire, Earl Spencer, Richard Payne Knight, Benjamin West, P.R.A., Charles Lambert, Edward Turnor, George Gosling, and Joseph Farrington, esqrs. Executed by Richard Earlom ...
Abbey, J.R. Scenery, 200
Kitson, M. Claude Lorrain: Liber veritatis, p. 30
"The life of Claude le Lorrain"--v. 1, p. 5-10, probably by John Boydell. Cf. Kitson.
YUAG: YUAG has vols. I & II only.
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in early 19th-century red half morocco, with gilt edges. Armorial bookplate: Egremont [i.e. George O'Brien Wyndham, third earl of Egremont?].
- Subject Terms:
- Boydell and Co. -- Publisher.Devonshire, Dukes of -- Art collections.Egremont, George O'Brien Wyndham, Earl of, 1751-1837 -- Bookplate.Landscape painting -- 17th century.Lorrain, Claude, 1600-1682.Wildman, John B. -- Bookplate.
- Armorial Bookplates (Provenance)
Mezzotints -- 1777-1819.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.