Austin, William, 1721-1820, A specimen of sketching landscapes, in a free and masterly manner, with a pen or pencil , 1781
- A specimen of sketching landscapes, in a free and masterly manner, with a pen or pencil : exemplified in thirty-eight etchings, from the original drawings of Lucatelli, after nature, in and about Rome.
- London : Printed for T. Simpson, drawing-master, St. Paul's Church-Yard, 1781.
- Physical Description:
- 6,  p.,  leaves of plates : chiefly ill. ; 23 cm. x 31 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNC800 .A97 1781+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Engraved throughout.
A piracy of William Austin's undated: A specimen of Sketching landscapes, ... . Cf. ESTC
The imprint date may be false. Simpson identifies himself as a publisher of similar works 1795-1801. Cf. ESTC.
Blank leaf following p.6.
BAC: Original wrappers. Engraved oval label mounted on front cover: London : Published by T. Simpson. St. Pauls Church Yard and Darling & Thompson, Great Newport Street. Printsellers to the Duke & Duchess of York.
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- Subject Terms:
- Darling & Thompson -- Publisher.Drawing -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.Drawing -- Technique.Etching -- Specimens -- 1781.Landscape -- Rome -- Pictorial works -- Early works to 1800.Landscape drawing -- Study and teaching -- Early works to 1800.Simpson, T. -- Publisher.
- Drawing books.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.