The magic ring : a merry game.
- A new and improved edition.
- London : Published by E. & M. A. Ogilvy, [between 1855 and 1870]
- Physical Description:
- 1 game (56 playing cards, 1 game board, 1 sheet of instructions) ; in box 19 x 17 x 4 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGV1312 .M34 1855 Flat AYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Title, edition, and imprint from printed sheet of instructions. The bottom half othe sheet includes a list of games and puzzles published by E. & M.A. Ogilvy.
The firm of E. & M.A. Ogilvy was active between 1855 and 1870.
Game comprised of a lithographed game boad (hand-colored, and backed with linen) and 56 playing cards (hand-colored lithographs), each showing a different subject. The game appears to belong to the category of matching card games. For example, when the dealer reads a card saying "the cat wants her kittens," then the player holding the card with "kittens" delivers it to the dealer.
- Subject Terms:
- Amusements -- Great Britain -- 19th century.
- Games -- Great Britain.
Board games -- Great Britain.
Recreations -- Great Britain.
Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1855.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.