Martin, William, 1801-1867, The book of sports, games, and athletic exercises , [between 1837 and 1845]
- The book of sports, games, and athletic exercises / by William Martin, author of The Parlour Book, &c. &c. &c.
- New edition, revised with additions.
- London : Darton and Clark, Holborn Hill, [between 1837 and 1845]
- Physical Description:
- , 268 p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 14 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGV1203 .M37 1837Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- The firm of Darton and Clark traded from 1837 to 1845. Cf. Brown. London publishers and printers.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in blind- and gilt-stamped maroon morocco style binding. Blind-stamped floral motif surrounds gilt floral design. Bookseller's ticket: Davey Bookseller Bristol. Inscribed: To Robert Webber Lindsay a reward for very great diligence and attention to all his studies. Amos Court. Xmas 1845.
- Marbles -- Games for cold weather -- Kites -- Hoops and tops -- Archery -- Cricket --Gymnastics -- Angling -- Swimming -- Chess -- A chapter of experiments -- Riddles.
- Subject Terms:
- Amusements -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Court, Amos -- Pres. insc. to Robert Webber Lindsay, Xmas 1845Darton and Clark -- Publisher.Games -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Lindsay, Robert Webber -- Pres. insc. from Amos Court, Xmas 1845Sports -- Great Britain -- 19th century.
- Wood engravings -- between 1837 and 1845.
Engravings -- between 1837 and 1845.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.