The costume of China : illustrated by sixty engravings : with explanations in English and French / by George Henry Mason.
- Additional Title(s):
Costumes de la Chine
- London : Printed for William Miller, Old-Bond Street, by William Bulmer and Co., Cleveland Row, St. James's, 1804 [i.e. not before 1819]
- Physical Description:
-  p., 60 leaves of plates : col. ill. ; 38 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGT1555 .M37 1819+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- The illustrations depict occupations, including street sellers.
With an added title page in French: Costumes de la Chine ...
Stipple engravings by J. Dadley; after Pu-Qúa.
Text leaves watermarked 1818; plates watermarked 1819. This late reprint of the 1804 ed. was probably issued by T. M'Lean. Cf. Abbey.
Abbey, J.R. Travel in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 533
BAC: British Art Center is the Abbey copy. Bound in gilt-tooled green morocco. Bookplate: Sir Harry Niven Lumsden. Presentation inscription: Rachel Niven. From her affectionate brother Harry Niven Lumsden.
- Subject Terms:
- Bulmer, W. -- Printer.China -- Social life and customs -- 18th century.China -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Clothing and dress -- China.Costume -- China.Lumsden, Harry Niven -- Pres. insc. to Rachel Niven.Lumsden, Harry Niven, Sir -- Bookplate.Miller, W. -- Publisher.Niven, Rachel -- Pres. insc. from Harry Niven Lumsden.Stipple engraving, Colored -- Specimens -- 1819.
YCBA Collections Search
Mason, George Henry, The costume of China , 1804 [i.e. not before 1819]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.