Familiar lessons on mineralogy and geology : explaining the easiest methods of discriminating minerals, and the earthy substances commonly called rocks, which compose the primitive, secondary, floetz or flat, and alluvial formations : to which is added, a description of the lapidaries' apparatus, &c. : with engravings and coloured plate / by J. Mawe, author of the New descriptive catalogue of minerals, &c., &c.
- London : Printed for, and sold by, the author, 149, Strand; and for Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, and Brown, Paternoster-Row, 1819.
- Physical Description:
- viii, 78,  p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 19 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsQE366 .M3 1819Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Abbey, J.R. Life, 446
Frontispiece aquatint engraving unsigned. Copper engraved plate opposite p. 41 signed: Cross sculp.
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Presentation inscription on p. [iii]: To Olivia May from dear Toby, August 1869
- Subject Terms:
- Barnard and Farley -- Printer.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1819.Gem cutting -- Study and teaching.Geology -- Study and teaching.Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, and Brown -- Publisher.Mawe, John, 1764-1829, -- Publisher.May, Olivia -- Pres. insc. from Toby, August 1869.Mineralogy -- Study and teaching.Natural history -- Great Britain.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1819.
YCBA Collections Search
Mawe, John, 1764-1829, Familiar lessons on mineralogy and geology , 1819
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.