A select collection of views and ruins in Rome and its vicinity : recently executed from drawings made upon the spot.
- Additional Title(s):
Views and ruins in Rome and its vicinity
Ruines de Rome
- London : Sold by Messrs. Robinsons, Paternoster Row; Mr. White, Fleet Street; Mr. Faulder, Bond Street; and Mr Evans, Pall Mall, [1819?]
- Physical Description:
-  p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 45 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2010 71Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Added engraved title page: Ruines de Rome
All the plates have J. Merigot as publisher; many also have R. Edwards in conjunction with him. The plates are dated from 1796 to 1798, but are on paper watermarked 1818.
Printed by Smith & Davy, Queen Street, Seven Dials.
Originally published in 1797 and 1799, respectively, with uncolored plates and on large paper. The first part being published by R. Edwards, Bond Street, and the second having no publisher's name on the title-page, only "sold by".
Abbey gives the date ca. 1819, based on a inscription in the British Museum copy. Cf. Abbey.
British Architectural Library. Early printed books, 1478-1840, p. 1120
Abbey, J.R. Travel in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 178
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. On large paper (45 cm). Bound in half calf and pink boards.
- Subject Terms:
- Hearne, J. -- Publisher.Italy -- Pictorial works.Rome (Italy) -- Pictorial works.Rome -- Antiquities -- Pictorial works.Smith & Davy -- Printer.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1819.
YCBA Collections Search
Merigot, James, A select collection of views and ruins in Rome and its vicinity , [1819?]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.