The log of a merchant officer : viewed with reference to the education of young officers and the youth of the merchant service / by Robert Methven, Commander in the Peninsular and Oriental Company, and author of the "Narrative of the Blenheim Hurricane of 1851" ; with an editorial preface by Dr. Lyon Playfair ; illustrated from sketches by the author.
- London : John Weale, 59, High Holborn; Smith, Elder, and Co., Cornhill; Ackermann and Co., Strand, 1854.
London : Bradbury and Evans, printers, Whitefriars, 
- Physical Description:
- xiv, 52, , 53-61, , 63-68 pages,  leaves of plates (1 folded) : illustrations, map ; 44 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2014 52Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Includes three lithographs after Oswald W. Brierly: "Kai Marina (Big Shadow) [from] Arrival of H.M.S. Rattlesnake in the Straits" -- "Redstar Cliff, S.E. co. New Guinea" -- Two lithographed views (on a single plate) showing sunsets in the East Asian seas, from Brierly's voyage on the Rattlesnake.
The appendices include "Directions on figure drawing" by G.E. Hicks and "Hints upon coast sketching" by Oswald W. Brierly
Lithographs printed by M. & N. Hanhart.
Includes wood-engraved illustrations with the text.
Includes a lithographed reproduction of the Methven's log journal ( pages).
Includes bibliographical references.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's original blue cloth, with title stamped in gilt on front cover.
- Subject Terms:
- Figure drawing -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.Logbooks.Merchant marine -- Great Britain -- Officers.Merchant marine -- Great Britain.Naval art and science -- Great Britain.Naval education -- Great Britain.
- Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1854.
Wood engravings -- 1854.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.