Gillray, James, 1756-1815, The caricatures of Gillray , [between 1824 and 1827]
The caricatures of Gillray : with historical and political illustrations, and compendious biographical anecdotes and notices.
- London : John Miller, 5 New Bridge Street ; Rodwell and Martin, New Bond Street ; William Blackwood, Edinburgh ; and all booksellers, [between 1824 and 1827]
[London] : Shackell and Arrowsmith, Johnson's Court, Fleet-Street
- Physical Description:
- 164 p.,  leaves of plates (some folded) : etchings, hand-colored ; 22 x 33 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2016 10Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- BEIN Folio 76: Wrappers wanting. With title page: "The caricatures of James Gillray, with historical and political illustrations, and compendious biographical anecdotes and notices, eighty-five colored etchings. London--Edinburgh, John Miller, William Blackwell." With an additional plate inserted loose in front. Cover title, "Gillray's caricatures in color."
Lewis Walpole Library: In original parts with wrappers. An additional eight plates (1 folded) in wrapper where the number 'VIII" has been erased and a number '10' printed over it. Lacks later title-page.
Title and imprint from cover of printed wrappers, part I.
John Miller was active at 5 New Bridge Street from 1824 to 1827. See: Brown, P.A.H. London publishers and printers, c. 1800-1870.
"This work ... will be published in monthly parts, each part to contain nine coloured plates, printed on Imperial Quarto, with descriptive letter-press, price 10s. 6d. each part, and will, it is expected, be completed in nine or ten parts."--Prospectus, page  of covers.
Imprint varies: on part IX, the printer is listed as Shackell, Arrowsmith, and Hodges.
Originally issued in 9 parts; p. 164 ends in the middle of a sentence, no more having been published.
Fairman, Elisabeth R. Pleasures and pastimes, 4
BAC: British Art Center copy in original parts, in printed wrappers; roan (?) back.
- Subject Terms:
- Caricature -- Great Britain.English wit and humor, Pictorial.Gillray, James, 1756-1815.Great Britain -- History -- 1789-1820 -- Caricatures and cartoons.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century -- Caricatures and cartoons.Political satire, English.
- Etchings -- England -- London -- 1824-1827.
Satires (Visual works) -- England -- 1824-1827.
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1824-1827.