A description of the maritime parts of France, containing a particular account of all the fortified towns, forts, harbours, bays, and rivers, with their tides, currents, soundings, shoals, &c., also of all manufactures, and articles of commerce, and of the most remarkable invasions, sieges, and sea-fights, which have happened on or near that coast. Illustrated with charts of the sea-coast, and plans of all the fortified places on it. Collected from the best authorities. Engraved by Tho. Jefferys ... To which are prefixed, a glossary, and plans of the several parts of fortification, on two plates, to explain the terms made use of in the work.
- London, Printed for T. Jefferys, 1761.
- Physical Description:
- 1 p.l., 4, , 10, 505,  p. 29 x 43 cm. and atlas of LXXXIV (i.e. 87) pl. (1 double) 29 x 43 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsAtlas 8 (Folio A)Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- The plates include maps and plans.
- Subject Terms:
- Cartography -- France.Coast defenses.Fortification -- France.France -- Defenses.France -- Description and travel.Harbors -- France.
YCBA Collections Search
Jefferys, Thomas, -1771, A description of the maritime parts of France,, 1761
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.