A description of the maritime parts of France : containing a particular account of all the fortified towns, forts, harbours, bays, and rivers, with their tides, currents, soundings, shoals, &c., also of all manufactures, and articles of commerce, and of the most remarkable invasions, sieges, and sea-fights, which have happened on or near that coast : illustrated with charts of the sea-coast, and plans of all the fortified places on it : collected from the best authorities / engraved by Tho. Jefferys ... ; to which are prefixed, a glossary, and plans of the several parts of fortification, on two plates, to explain the terms made use of in the work.
- London : Printed for Thomas Jefferys, at Charing-Cross, MDCCLXI 
- Physical Description:
- , 4, , 10, 505,  pages ; 29 x 43 cm and 1 atlas (LXXXIV [i.e. 87] leaves) ; 29 x 43 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2023 8Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- The atlas volume includes engraved maps and plans.
English short title catalogue, T130589
Errata, page .
BAC Folio A 2023 8: The atlas volume is hand-colored. Bound in contemporary sprinkled calf. Bookplate: F.F. Praed de Woodchester.
- Subject Terms:
- Cartography -- France.Coast defenses -- France.Fortification -- France.France -- Defenses.France -- Description and travel.Harbors -- France.Praed, F. F. -- Bookplate.
YCBA Collections Search
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Jefferys, Thomas, -1771, A description of the maritime parts of France , MDCCLXI 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.