Constable, John, 1776-1837, Various subjects of landscape, characteristic of English scenery , 1830[-32]
- Various subjects of landscape, characteristic of English scenery / from pictures painted by John Constable, R.A. ; engraved by David Lucas.
- London : Published by Mr. Constable, 35, Charlotte Street, Fitzroy Square. Sold by Colnaghi, Dominic Colnaghi, and co. Pall Mall East, 1830[-32]
- Physical Description:
-  leaves,  leaves of plates : chiefly ill. ; 29 x 43 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2009 36Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Mezzotint engravings by David Lucas; after John Constable.
Tinker lib. 741
Constable : the great landscapes, p. 80
Shirley, A. Published mezzotints of David Lucas after John Constable, R.A.
BEIN Folio 260: Introduction dated May 28, 1832; the plates (india proofs, mounted) are dated 1830-32.
BEIN Tinker +741: Another issue. 4 p.l., 22 plates (incl. 2 fronts.) 35 x 28 cm. Introduction dated May 28, 1832; plates engraved, dated 1830-32. Text runs parallel with back of cover. Bookplate of Chauncey Brewster Tinker. From the library of Baron George James Welbore Agar-Ellis. Autograph letter of John Constable to Lord Dover tipped in. Armorial binding of Lord Dover.
BEIN Folio 262: Another issue. 15 l. 29 x 44 cm. Preliminary matter, including title-pages for the editions of 1830 and 1833, list of engravings, introduction, etc., in different states; without the plates.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in maroon half morocco and brown cloth. Original printed wrapper for part no. 1 bound in and inscribed: "John Constable R. A. [and at top right] Miss Fisher, with Mr. Constable's best wishes." The plates are in various published states (from first to fourth); some of the engravings are inscribed "J.C." in graphite.
- Subject Terms:
- Constable, John, 1776-1837 -- Autograph.Constable, John, 1776-1837 -- Pres. insc. to Miss Fisher.Dover, George James Welbore Agar-Ellis, Baron, 1797-1833 -- Binding.Fisher, Miss -- Presentation inscription from John Constable.Landscape painting, English -- 19th century.Tinker, Chauncey Brewster, 1876-1963 -- Bookplate.
- Mezzotints -- 1830-1832.
Armorial bindings (Provenance)
Armorial bindings (Binding)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.