Michael Angelo's frescoes in the Sistine Chapel : ... facsimiles of original drawings, from the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, made at the time of the paintings, and before the execution of the Last Judgment / ... engraved and published by J. Linnell.
- London : John Linnell, [1833-1835]
- Physical Description:
-  leaf,  leaves of plates : all illustrations ; 30 x 44 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2012 26 Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2012 26 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Multiple copies of this work are known to employ a copy of Linnell's prospectus in the position of a title leaf. Both copies in the collection of the Yale Center for British Art (Department of Rare Books and Manuscripts) include a prospectus. In copy 1, the prospectus appears to have preceded publication of the first part of Linnell's engravings ("April, 1833, will be published no. 1 ..."). In copy 2, the prospectus -- similarly titled -- is dated 1834 at bottom ("engraved and published (1834) by J. Linnell ..."). Aside from the differences in dates, the text of the 1834 prospectus is elaborated in places, and the "price of each number" is raised to £1.6.0, where it was listed as £1.0.0 in 1833.
"[The source drawings] formed part of the collection of Sir Peter Lely, and afterwards that of Sir Joshua Reynolds, and are now in possession of Samuel Rogers, Esq., by whose permission they are engraved. These drawings, while in the possession of Sir Joshua Reynolds, were thought to be by Vasari ... the best critics, however have judged them to be (if not by Michael Angelo) by Perino del Vaga ..."--1833 prospectus.
Originally issued in parts, each containing seven plates. Some of the prints bear dates, between February 1833 and February 1835. Story and D. Linnell suggest that the final part was probably published in 1837.
The plates are printed on India paper
Linnell, D. Blake, Palmer, Linnell and Co., page 144
Story, A.T. Life Of John Linnell, v. 1, p. 221-223; v. 2, p. 244
BAC: British Art Center copy 1 bound in contemporary brown half morocco and marbled boards. Includes 1833 publisher's prospectus as title leaf.
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 is unbound, in a contemporary brown paper portfolio, with green cloth back and silk ties. Linnell's 1834 prospectus is affixed to the inside of the front cover.
- Subject Terms:
- Cappella Sistina (Vatican Palace, Vatican City)Lely, Peter, 1618-1680 -- Art collections.Michelangelo Buonarroti, 1475-1564.Mural painting and decoration, Italian -- Vatican City.Mural painting and decoration, Renaissance -- Vatican City.Reynolds, Joshua, Sir, 1723-1792 -- Art collections.Rogers, Samuel, 1763-1855 -- Art collections.
Mezzotints -- 1833-1835.
YCBA Collections Search
Linnell, John, 1792-1882, Michael Angelo's frescoes in the Sistine Chapel , [1833-1835]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.