Select views in Great Britain / engrav'd by S. Middiman ; from pictures and drawings by the most eminent artists ; with descriptions.
- Additional Title(s):
Collection of select views in Great Britain
- London : Published by S. Middiman, No. 3, Grafton Street, Tottenham Court Road, [1784-1792]
- Physical Description:
-  p., 49 leaves of plates : ill. ; 24 x 31 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA625.M627 S45 1784+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Originally issued in parts. Parts bear printed cover title: Number I[-XII] of A collection of select views in Great Britain, from original drawings and pictures ... Published ... by S. Middiman ... and sold by W. Watts, Kemp's Row, Ranelagh Walk, Chelsea. This publication will be comprised in twenty-five numbers; one number to be published every three months, price five shillings.
Middiman's engravings after paintings by George Barret, James Barret, Edward Edwards, Samuel Hieronymus Grimm, Thomas Malton, William Marlow, C. M. Metz, William Payne, R. Phillips, Frederick Ponsonby, Cordall Powell, Thomas Smith, James Wathen, and Francis Wheatley.
Publication date derived from plates, dated from 1784-1792.
Each plate is accompanied by a leaf of descriptive text, in English on the recto and in French on the verso.
Title page is engraved.
Not in ESTC.
Upcott, W. English topography, p. xxxiv
BAC: British Art Center copy in original parts, with printed wrappers; consists of parts 1 and 2 (plates 1-8) only. Part 1 includes the engraved title page for the entire set, and has bound with it the prospectus for the present title (cataloged separately)
- Subject Terms:
- Engraving -- Specimens -- 1784-1792.Great Britain -- Pictorial works.Middiman, Samuel, ca. 1750-1831 -- Publisher.Watts, W. -- Bookseller.
YCBA Collections Search
Middiman, Samuel, approximately 1750-1831, Select views in Great Britain , [1784-1792]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.