Mingaud, François, 1771-1847, The noble game of billiards , 1830
- The noble game of billiards : wherein are exhibited extraordinary & surprising strokes which have excited the admiration of most of the sovereigns of Europe / by Monsieur Mingaud.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Thurston's translation of Mingaud's billiards
Noble jeu de billard. English
- [London] : Translated & published by John Thurston, 14 Catherine Street, Strand, London, 1830.
- Physical Description:
- , 7,  p., , 40 leaves leaves of plates : ill. ; 31 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGV893 .M56 1830+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Translation of: Noble jeu de billard.
Cover title, on publisher's printed label: Thurston's translation of Mingaud's billiards.
Title page is engraved.
Abbey, J.R. Life, 391
Fairman, Elisabeth R. Pleasures and pastimes, 70
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in contemporary red half roan and marbled boards; publisher's printed title label on front cover. Trade advertisement for John Thurston, billiard table manufacturer,  p. at end.
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- Subject Terms:
- Amusements -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Billiards -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Board games -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Games -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Thurston, John -- Publisher.
- Aquatints -- 1830.
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1830.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.