An epitome, historical and statistical, descriptive of the Royal Naval Service of England / by E. Miles ; with the assistance of Lieutenant Lawford Miles, R.N. ; embellished with eight highly-finished, coloured, engraved views of shipping, by W. Knell ; besides fourteen coloured illustrations of the flags, pendants, and ensigns, as worn by Her Majesty's ships and vessels in commission.
- Additional Title(s):
Epitome of the naval service
Epitome of the Royal Naval Service of England
- London : Ackermann and Company, 96, Strand, 1841.
- Physical Description:
- xii, 184, 14 p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsVA454 .M55 1841Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Half-title: Epitome of the Royal Naval Service of England.
Cover title and spine title: Epitome of the naval service.
Aquatints engraved by Newton Fielding; after William Adolphus Knell.
Printed by Charles Wood, Poppin's Court, Fleet Street.
Each plate accompanied by and unpaginated leaf of descriptive letterpress.
Tooley, R.V. English books with coloured plates, 1790-1860, 329
Abbey, J.R. Life in England in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 339
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in publisher's blind- and gilt-stamped quarter roan binding with gray cloth boards. Publisher's advertisements: , 14 p. at end. Inscribed: Mrs. Phillipa.
- Subject Terms:
- Ackermann and Co. -- Publisher.Great Britain -- History, Naval.Great Britain. Royal Navy -- History.Phillipa, Mrs -- Autograph.Wood, Charles -- Printer.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1841.
Wood engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1841.
YCBA Collections Search
Miles, Edmund, An epitome, historical and statistical, descriptive of the Royal Naval Service of England , 1841
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.