IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Miles, Edmund, An epitome, historical and statistical, descriptive of the Royal Naval Service of England , 1841
An epitome, historical and statistical, descriptive of the Royal Naval Service of England / by E. Miles ; with the assistance of Lieutenant Lawford Miles, R.N. ; embellished with eight highly-finished, coloured, engraved views of shipping, by W. Knell ; besides fourteen coloured illustrations of the flags, pendants, and ensigns, as worn by Her Majesty's ships and vessels in commission.
- Additional Title(s):
Epitome of the naval service
Epitome of the Royal Naval Service of England
- London : Ackermann and Company, 96, Strand, 1841.
- Physical Description:
- xii, 184, 14 p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsVA454 .M55 1841Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Half-title: Epitome of the Royal Naval Service of England.
Cover title and spine title: Epitome of the naval service.
Aquatints engraved by Newton Fielding; after William Adolphus Knell.
Printed by Charles Wood, Poppin's Court, Fleet Street.
Each plate accompanied by and unpaginated leaf of descriptive letterpress.
Tooley, R.V. English books with coloured plates, 1790-1860, 329
Abbey, J.R. Life in England in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 339
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in publisher's blind- and gilt-stamped quarter roan binding with gray cloth boards. Publisher's advertisements: , 14 p. at end. Inscribed: Mrs. Phillipa.
- Subject Terms:
- Ackermann and Co. -- Publisher.Great Britain -- History, Naval.Great Britain. Royal Navy -- History.Phillipa, Mrs -- Autograph.Wood, Charles -- Printer.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1841.
Wood engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1841.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.