The mirror of the graces, or, The English lady's costume : combining and harmonizing taste and judgment, elegance and grace, modesty, simplicity, and economy with fashion in dress : and adapting the various articles of female embellishments to different ages, form, and complexions : to the seasons of the year, rank, and situation in life : with useful advice on female accomplishments, politeness, and manners : the cultivation of the mind and the disposition and carriage of the body : offering also the most efficacious means of preserving beauty, health, and loveliness : the whole according with the general principles of nature and rules of propriety / by a Lady of distinction ; who has witnessed and attentively studied what is esteemed truly graceful and elegant amongst the most refined nations of Europe.
- Additional Title(s):
Mirror of the graces
English lady's costume
- The second edition.
- London : Printed for B. Crosby and Co. Stationers' Court, Ludgate Street; and sold by all booksellers, 1811.
- Physical Description:
- vii,  p., pp. 12-17,  p., pp. x-xxiii [i.e. xiii],  p., 10-241,  p., 4 leaves of plates : ill. ; 18 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGT737 .L33 1811Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Illustrations by James Hopwood; after H. Corbould.
Printed by J. Swan and Sons, 76, Fleet Street, London.
Publisher's advertisements:  p. at end.
BAC: British Art Center copy inscribed: Mary Hawkin, 1814. Bookplate, illustrated in the style of Aubrey Beardsley, of Wm. Truscott.
- Subject Terms:
- Beauty, Personal.Clothing and dress -- Great Britain.Costume -- Great Britain -- History -- 19th century.Crosby, B. -- Publisher.Etching, Colored -- Specimens -- 1811.Etiquette -- Great Britain.Fashion -- Great Britain.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Hawkin, Mary -- Autograph, 1814.J. Swan and Sons -- Printer.Skin care and hygiene.Stipple engraving, Colored -- Specimens -- 1811.Truscott, William -- Bookplate.Women -- Conduct of life.Women -- Health and hygiene.Women -- History.
YCBA Collections Search
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Lady of distinction, active 19th century, The mirror of the graces, or, The English lady's costume , 1811
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.