Lady of distinction, active 19th century, The mirror of the graces, or, The English lady's costume , 1811
- The mirror of the graces, or, The English lady's costume : combining and harmonizing taste and judgment, elegance and grace, modesty, simplicity, and economy with fashion in dress : and adapting the various articles of female embellishments to different ages, form, and complexions : to the seasons of the year, rank, and situation in life : with useful advice on female accomplishments, politeness, and manners : the cultivation of the mind and the disposition and carriage of the body : offering also the most efficacious means of preserving beauty, health, and loveliness : the whole according with the general principles of nature and rules of propriety / by a Lady of distinction ; who has witnessed and attentively studied what is esteemed truly graceful and elegant amongst the most refined nations of Europe.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Mirror of the graces
English lady's costume
- The second edition.
- London : Printed for B. Crosby and Co. Stationers' Court, Ludgate Street; and sold by all booksellers, 1811.
- Physical Description:
- vii,  p., pp. 12-17,  p., pp. x-xxiii [i.e. xiii],  p., 10-241,  p., 4 leaves of plates : ill. ; 18 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGT737 .L33 1811Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Illustrations by James Hopwood; after H. Corbould.
Printed by J. Swan and Sons, 76, Fleet Street, London.
Publisher's advertisements:  p. at end.
BAC: British Art Center copy inscribed: Mary Hawkin, 1814. Bookplate, illustrated in the style of Aubrey Beardsley, of Wm. Truscott.
- Subject Terms:
- Beauty, Personal.Clothing and dress -- Great Britain.Costume -- Great Britain -- History -- 19th century.Crosby, B. -- Publisher.Etching, Colored -- Specimens -- 1811.Etiquette -- Great Britain.Fashion -- Great Britain.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Hawkin, Mary -- Autograph, 1814.J. Swan and Sons -- Printer.Skin care and hygiene.Stipple engraving, Colored -- Specimens -- 1811.Truscott, William -- Bookplate.Women -- Conduct of life.Women -- Health and hygiene.Women -- History.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.