A map of the British and French dominions in North America [cartographic material] : with the roads, distances, limits, and extent of the settlements, humbly inscribed to the Right Honourable the Earl of Halifax, and the other Right Honourable the Lords Commissioners for Trade & Plantations / by their Lordships most obliged and very humble servant, Jno. Mitchell ; Tho. Kitchin, sculp.
- [First edition, second issue].
- [London] : Publish'd by the ... and sold by And. Millar, opposite Katharine Street in the Strand, Febry 13th, 1755.
- Physical Description:
- 1 map : engraving ; 136 x 195 cm, on sheets 77 x 57 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio C 2009 4bYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Related Content:
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- Scale [ca. 1:2,000,000]. -- (W 107°00ʹ--W 51°00ʹ/N 52°20ʹ--N 28°10ʹ).
- Relief shown pictorially.
For a description of different editions and impressions, see the Osher Map Library (http://oshermaps.org/special-map-exhibits/mitchell-map/cartographic-notes).
Library of Congress. Maps and charts of North America and the West Indies, 1750-1789 38
Cumming, W.P. Southeast in early maps (3rd ed.), 293, and p. 25-26
Ristow, W. A la carte, page 109
McCorkle, B.B. New England in early printed maps, 1513 to 1800, 755.31
Includes text and inset "A new map of Hudson's Bay and Labrador from the late survey of those coasts."
Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
BAC: British Art Center copy borders and boundaries are hand-colored.
"The official map employed by British and American diplomats in framing the definitive Treaty of Peace of September 3, 1783 ... Mitchell's map covers the seaboard of North America from Labrador to Newfoundland, to Florida and Texas, and extends inland to what is now Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, and South Dakota ... For the southern region, Mitchell used the 1755 revised edition of Fry-Jefferson's map north of the Grenville line. He used Barnwell ca. 1721 MS for the area to the south ..."--Cumming.
- Subject Terms:
- British -- America -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.North America -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.
- Early works.
Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1755.
YCBA Collections Search
Mitchell, John, 1711-1768, A map of the British and French dominions in North America, Febry 13th, 1755