Twelve views of the picturesque scenery of Plymouth, Devonport, and the neighbourhood / drawn by Philip Mitchell ; lithographed by W. Spreat.
- [Plymouth] : Published by E & H.L. Fry. Printsellers, carvers & gilders, Plymouth, [1848 or 1849]
- Physical Description:
-  leaves of plates : all ill. ; 39 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA690.P7 M58 1848+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Imprint on plates: Printed at W. Spreat's lithographic establishment, 6, Park Place, Longbrook Street, Exeter.
Abbey estimates a publication date of ca. 1835. William Spreat (Jnr.) traded at 6 Park Place from 1848 to 1849. Cf. Wakeman & Bridson. A guide to nineteenth century colour printers.
Cover title. 12 views are announced on the wrapper, but it contains 13. Possibly no. 2 and no. 9 are interchangeable.
Abbey, J.R. Scenery of Great Britain and Ireland in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 287
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Unbound; in publisher's printed wrappers.
- Subject Terms:
- Devonport (England) -- Pictorial works.E. & H.L Fry -- Publisher.Plymouth (England) -- Pictorial works.
- Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1848 or 1849.
- Plymouth, from Greenbank, looking towards Bovisant
- Devonport, from Mount Edgcumbe
- The Breakwater Lighthouse, looking towards Mount Edgecumbe
- The Laira Bridge, from Oreston
- The victualling office, Stonehouse
- Plymouth, from Greenbank
- Entrance to Hamoaze Harbour, from the point
- Plymouth, from Mount Batten
- Devonport, from Mount Edgecumbe
- From Mount Edgecumbe, looking towards Catwater
- Drakes Island & Mount Edgecumbe, from two coves
- The Laira
- The Citadel & Mount Batten, from under the Hoe.