Modern London : being the history and present state of the British metropolis : illustrated with numerous copper plates.
- London : Printed for Richard Philliips, No. 71, St. Paul's Church-Yard, by C. Mercier and Co. Northumberland-court, Strand, 1805.
- Physical Description:
- viii, 571 p.,  leaves of plates ( folded) : ill., plan : 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA683 .P45 1805+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Appendix contains lists of the churches, public buildings, public halls and companies, public institutions, hospitals, courts, etc.
Engravings by Cooke, Reeve, James Fittler, Thompson, S. Rawle, Edward Edwards, Isaac Taylor, J.G. Walker and Richard Rhodes; after Edward Pugh and S. Rawle.
Map of London engraved by Samuel John Neele.
"Description of the plates, representing the itinerant traders of London in their ordinary costume; with notices of the remarkable places given in the background."--P. -536, with sectional title page. May also have been issued separately.
Fairman, Elisabeth R. Pleasures and pastimes, 159
BAC: British Art Center copy has bound with it Description of the plates, representing the itinerant traders of London in their ordinary costume. London : R. Phillips, 1804.
- Subject Terms:
- C. Mercier and Co. -- Printer.Cries -- England -- London.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1805.London (England) -- Buildings, structures, etc.London (England) -- Description and travel.London (England) -- History.London (England) -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Peddlers -- England -- London.Phillips, Richard -- Publisher.
- IIIF Manifest:
- History of London
- General description of London
- Present manners and police of the Metropolis
- Hospitals and other public charities
- Juridical and legal tribunals and establishments
- Royal Palaces, parks , and other appurtenances of state and government
- Commerce and trade of London, public offices, and public commercial buildings
- Architecture, public and private buildings, squares, and statues
- Learned societies, literature, and literary journals
- Public amusements, theatres, musical and theatrical performances
- State of the fine arts, and their influence on and relation to manners : Public and private collections, and public exhibitions
- Description of the plates
- Appendix of Lists and tables
Pleasures and Pastimes (Yale Center for British Art, 1990-02-21 - 1990-04-29) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]