Dieu, Jean, 1654-1695, [Portraits of figures of the court of Louis XIV], [1678-1698]
[Portraits of figures of the court of Louis XIV].
- [Paris] : [Sur la Quay Pelletier, à la pomme d'or, au troisieme apartement], [1678-1698]
- Physical Description:
-  prints : engraving ; 40 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2009 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Most (if not all) of the engravings are after drawings by Jean Dieu (de Saint-Jean) and are signed by him. The name of the engraver is largely omitted: several are signed by Franz Ertinger; one is signed by Antoine Trouvain.
Imprints vary. The most frequent imprint, including undated prints and those dated from 1683 to 1698, is of the form: "Se vend à Paris, sur le Quay Pelletier, à la pomme d'or, au troisieme apartement" (or variants thereof). A number also bear the imprint of Antroine Trouvain (Paris). All of the plates with Trouvain's imprint omit the name of Jean Dieu.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in 18th-century calf. Bookplate: Earl of Fife. With manuscript inscriptions on verso of second free end-paper.
An album of 114 engraved portraits of richly costumed members of the court of Louis XIV including members of the royal family. The prints, variously dated from 1678 to 1698, were probably published individually and collected together in the present volume at a later date.
- Subject Terms:
- Clothing and dress -- France -- Early works to 1800.Costume -- France -- Early works to 1800.Fife, Earl -- BookplateFrance -- Court and courtiers -- Early works to 1800.Kings and rulers -- France -- Pictorial works -- Early works to 1800.Louis XIV, King of France, 1638-1715.Portraits, French -- Early works to 1800.
- Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
Engravings -- 1678-1698.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.