An essay in defence of ancient architecture, or, A parallel of the ancient buildings with the modern : , shewing [sic] the beauty and harmony of the former, and the irregularity of the latter : with impartial reflections on the reasons of the abuses introduced by our present builders : to which is annexed an inspectional table, universally useful / by Robert Morris ; illustrated with sixteen copper-plates.
- Additional Title(s):
Essay in defence of ancient architecture
Parallel of the ancient buildings with the modern
- London : Printed for D. Browne, at the Black-Swan, without Temple Bar; W. Bickerton, in Devereaux-Court, near Temple-Bar; J. Pote, at the Golden-Door, against Suffolk-Street, near Charing-Cross; and J. Walthoe, at Richmond, 1728.
- Physical Description:
- xxviii, 114,  p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 29 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNA2810 .M67 1728+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Final leaf of bookseller's advertisements.
Errata at foot of p. xxviii.
Head and tail-pieces and initials.
Harris, E. British architectural books and writers, 1556-1785. Cambridge, 1990, 568
English short title catalogue, T90206
BAC: Bound with alternating panels of plans and sprinkled sheep.
BAC: Inscribed: Job Staples, 1749. Also inscribed:: Brenton Wanton's book. Given by Mr. Job Staples 1749.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture -- Composition, proportion, etc. -- Early works to 1800.Architecture -- Early works to 1800.Architecture -- Orders -- Early works to 1800.Architecture, Ancient -- Early works to 1800.Architecture, Medieval -- Early works to 1800.Bickerton, W. -- Publisher.Browne, D. -- Publisher.Pote, J. -- Publisher.Staples, Job -- Provenance.Walthoe, J. -- Publisher.Wanton, Brenton -- Provenance.
- Wood engravings -- 1728.
Engravings -- 1728.
YCBA Collections Search
Morris, Robert, 1701-1754, An essay in defence of ancient architecture, or, A parallel of the ancient buildings with the modern , 1728
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.