IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Moxon, Joseph, 1627-1691, Mechanick exercises, or, The doctrine of handy-works : began Jan. 1, 1677 : and intended to be continued monthly , 1677-1680
Mechanick exercises, or, The doctrine of handy-works : began Jan. 1, 1677 : and intended to be continued monthly / by Joseph Moxon.
- Additional Title(s):
Doctrine of handy-works.
- London : J. Moxon, 1677-1680.
- Physical Description:
- 1-48, 51-114, 119-242, [243-250] p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 21 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsZ244 A2 M93 1677Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- 'Mechanick exercises' was issued monthly between 1677-1680. Describes the materials, tools, operations and terms of smithing, house carpentry and turnery. Cf. Harris.
Dated successively: 1677, 1678, 1679, and 1680.
Contains 14 original parts each with its own t.p.
Pages. 49-50 and 115-118 omitted.
BAC: T.p. is facsimile of copy in British Museum.
Wing, D.G. Short-title catalogue of books printed in England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, and British America, and of English books printed in other countries, 1641-1700, 3013
BAC: Bound with: Mechanick exercises, or, The Doctrine of handy-works : applied to the art of bricklayers-work / Joseph Moxon. London, 1700.
Harris, E. British architectural books and writers, 1556-1785. Cambridge [England] : Cambridge University Press, 1994,c1990. 577
A new number on bricklayers' works was issued in 1700, nine years after Joseph Moxon's death, presumably by his son James Moxon. This number was added to a third addition published in the same year. Cf. Harris.
- Subject Terms:
- Carpentry -- Early works to 1800.Industrial arts -- Early works to 1800.Metal-work -- Early works to 1800.Moxon, Joseph, 1627-1700. -- Publisher.
- Engravings -- 1677-1680.
- Pt. I-III: Smithing
- pt. IV-VI: Joinery
- pt. VII-X: House carpentry
- pt. X-XIV: Turning.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.