The new bon ton magazine, or, Telescope of the times, 1818-1821
- The new bon ton magazine, or, Telescope of the times.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Bon ton magazine
Telescope of the times
New bon ton magazine
- London : Printed for J. Johnston, Cheapside, and sold by all booksellers, 1818-1821.
- Physical Description:
- 6 volumes : illustrations ; 22 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsAP4 .N53Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Edited by John Mitford.
Sold by S.W. Fores. Printed by F.C. Seyfang.
With 32 caricatures, including works by Lewis Marks and Charles Williams. George Cruikshank may have executed some of the unsigned plates, as he earlier illustrated "Town talk" and "The scourge" for the same publisher.
The later numbers of this periodical contain numerous articles and caricatures relating to Queen Caroline.
Indexed at the end of each volume.
Individual issues have designations: vol. 1: Vol. I, no. 1 (May 1, 1818)-Vol. 1, no. 6 (October 1, 1818) - vol. 2: Vol. II, no. 7 (November 1, 1818)-Vol. II, no. 12 (April 1, 1819) - vol. 3: Vol. III, no. 13 (May 1, 1819)-Vol. III, no. 18 (October 1, 1819) - vol. 4: Vol. IV, no. 19 (November 1, 1818 [that is, 1819])-Vol. IV, no. 24 (April 1, 1820) - vol. 5: Vol. V, no. 25 (May 1, 1820)-Vol. V, no. 30 (October 1, 1820) - vol. 6: Vol. VI, no. 31 (November 1, 1820)-Vol. VI, no. 36 (April 2, 1821).
Each volume has continuous pagination and signatures.
Description based on: Vol. I (from May to October, 1818); title from title page.
Latest volume consulted: Vol. VI.
BAC: British Art Center copy in original parts; bound in publisher's printed wrappers (all except two issues). Includes publisher's slips and advertisements. Bookplate: Edward Francis Hutton.
- Subject Terms:
- Caricature, English -- 19th century.Caroline, Queen, consort of George IV, King of Great Britain, 1768-1821.Hutton, Edward Francis -- Bookplate.Johnston, James -- Publisher.
Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1818-1821.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.