New illustrated directory, entitled Men & things of modern England : being a direct guide to the highest class of commercial houses, manufacturing establishments, hotels &c. &c.
- Additional Title(s):
Men & things of modern England
Men and things of modern England
Second series of the New illustrated directory
New illustrated directory
- Birmingham : Published by M. Billing, to be seen at all first class hotels, steam boat companies, etc., [1858?]
- Physical Description:
- , 35, , 226 p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 31 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA690.B6 N49 1855+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Cover title, stamped in gilt on publisher's black cloth: Second series of the New illustrated directory.
Includes short biographies of prominent men of England, each accompanied by a wood-engraved portrait.
Chromolithographs by Martin Billing.
Dates mentioned in the introductory text suggest a publication date of 1858.
"The manufactures of Birmingham and Sheffield."--Pages 1-35.
Includes, at front, indexes to the biographies, advertisements, and illustrations (i.e. plates).
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in gilt-tooled black publisher's binding. Title stamped in gilt on front cover: Second series of the New Illustrated directory.
- Subject Terms:
- Billing, M. -- Publisher.Birmingham (England) -- Biography.Birmingham (England) -- Directories.Directories -- Commerce.Manufacturing industries -- England -- Birmingham -- Directories.
- Directories -- England -- Birmingham -- 1855.
Chromolithographs -- 1858.
Wood engravings -- 1858.
Lithographs -- 1858.
YCBA Collections Search
New illustrated directory, entitled Men & things of modern England , [1858?]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.