The practice of drawing and painting landscape from nature, in water colours : exemplified in a series of instructions calculated to facilitate the progress of the learner, including the elements of perspective, their application in sketching from nature and the explanation of various processes of colouring, for producing from the outline a finished picture, with observations on the study of nature and various other matters relative to the arts / by Francis Nicholson.
- Additional Title(s):
On drawing landscape
- London : Printed for the author; and published by J. Booth, Duke Street, Portland Place, and T. Clay, Ludgate Hill, 1820.
- Physical Description:
- iv, 91 p.,  leaves of plates ( folded) : ill. ; 30 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNC790 .N53 1820+ Copy 1 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsNC790 .N53 1820+ Copy 2 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Spine title, on printed label: On drawing landscape.
Engravings by T.H. Fielding; after Francis Nicholson.
Printed by Poulter, Great Chesterfield Street, St. Mary-le-bone.
Abbey, J.R. Life in England in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 162
BAC: British Art Center copy 1 is the Abbey copy. Bound in original brown boards. Copy 2 lacks plates 2 and 5; plates 3 and 4 in reverse order. Bound in gray boards.
- Subject Terms:
- Booth, J. -- Publisher.Clay, T. -- Publisher.Drawing -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.Drawing -- Technique.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1820.Landscape drawing -- Technique.Landscape painting -- Technique.Lithography -- Specimens -- 1820.Poulter -- Printer.Watercolor painting -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.Watercolor painting -- Technique.
- Drawing books.
Aquatints -- 1820.
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1820.
YCBA Collections Search
Nicholson, Francis, 1753-1844, The practice of drawing and painting landscape from nature, in water colours , 1820
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.