The practice of drawing and painting landscape from nature, in water colours : exemplified in a series of instructions calculated to facilitate the progress of the learner : including the elements of perspective, their application in drawing from nature, and the explanation of various processes of colouring, for producing from the sketch a finished picture : with observations on the study of nature, and various other matters relative to the arts / by Francis Nicholson.
- Second edition
- London : John Murray, Albemarle-Street, 1823.
- Physical Description:
- xi, , 118 p., , 10 leaves of plates ( folded) : ill. ; 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNC790 .N534 1823+ Copy 1 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsNC790 .N534 1823+ Copy 2 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Printed by Thomas Davison, Whitefriars. Plates printed by C. Hullmandel.
Abbey, J.R. Life in England in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 163
BAC: British Art Center has copy 1 is the Abbey copy. Has folded plates bound as double plates. Copy 2 in variant binding. Inscribed on t.p.: Marianne Snow. London-Jany. 5-/27.
- Subject Terms:
- Davison, Thomas -- Printer.Drawing books -- Specimens.Hullmandel, Charles -- Printer.Landscape drawing -- Study and teaching.Landscape painting -- Study and teaching.Murray, John -- Publisher.Snow, Marianne -- Provenance, July 5-/27. (copy 2)Watercolor painting -- Study and teaching.
- Lithographs -- 1823.
Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1823.
YCBA Collections Search
Nicholson, Francis, 1753-1844, The practice of drawing and painting landscape from nature, in water colours , 1823
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.