Callcott, Maria, Lady, 1785-1842, Journal of a voyage to Brazil and residence there, during part of the years 1821, 1822, 1823 , 1824
Journal of a voyage to Brazil and residence there, during part of the years 1821, 1822, 1823 / by Maria Graham.
- London : Printed for Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, Paternoster-Row; and J. Murray, Albemarle-Street, 1824.
- Physical Description:
- , vi, 335,  p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsF2513 .C35 1824+ Copy 1 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsF2513 .C35 1824+ Copy 2 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Printed by A. & R. Spottiswoode, New-Street-Square.
Illustrations by Edward Finden; after Augustus Earl and Maria Callas.
Davis & Joyce. Personal writings by women, 697
Library Company of Philadelphia. Afro-Americana, 1553-1906, 4207
Abbey, J.R. Travel in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 708
BAC: British Art Center copy has two copies. Copy 1 is the Abbey copy.
BAC: Copy 1. All plates, except frontispiece, are unplaced and fall before p. .
BAC: Copy 2. Includes an etched portrait of the author by Dawson Turner and an ALS from author to Mrs. Palgrave, dated Dec. 24. 1831, pasted inside front cover.
BAC: ALS from the author to Mrs. Palgrave, wife of Sir Francis Palgrave, includes a reference to Arthur Hallan, later commemorated in Tennyson's "In Memoriam".
BAC: Copy 2. Illustrations bound in throughout text. Errata slip tipped in at end of volume.
BAC: Copy 1: bookseller's ticket on front pasted-down endpaper: Bought of J. R. Smith, 4, Old Conmpton-st.
BAC: Copy 1 has 'Looseley House, Princes Risborough" embossed on second free end-paper.
- Subject Terms:
- A. & R. Spottiswoode -- Printer.Brazil -- Description and travel.Brazil -- History -- To 1821.Callcott, Maria, Lady, 1785-1842 -- ALS to Mrs. Palpave, Dec. 24, 1831.Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green -- Publisher.Murray, John, 1778-1843, publisher.Palgrave, Mrs. -- ALS from Lady Maria Callcot, Dec. 24, 1831.Slavery -- Brazil.Smith, J. R. -- Publisher.Voyages and travels.Women travelers.
- Aquatints -- 1824.
Etchings -- 1824.
Wood engravings -- 1824.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.