A collection of fac-similes of scarce and curious prints : by the early masters of the Italian, German, and Flemish schools : illustrative of the history of engraving, from the invention of the art, by Maso Finiguerra, in the middle of the fifteenth century, to the end of the century following : with introductory remarks, and a catalogue of the plates / by William Young Ottley ; vol. 1.
- Additional Title(s):
Facsimile specimens of rare & curious engravings by Old Masters
- London : Published for the proprietor; and sold by Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown and Green ... ; and Colnaghi and Co. Printed by J. M'Creery, 1826.
- Physical Description:
- , xxxvi, xx,  p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 40 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2009 77Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Added engraved title page: Facsimile specimens of rare & curious engravings by old masters
Advertisement, p. , indicates that there were to be two additional volumes (for a series of "upwards of three hundred plates") but no more appear to have been published.
Includes 12 niello prints (worked in silver).
British Museum. General catalogue of printed books to 1955 (compact edition), v. 19, 134
Eng. catalog of books, Prel. vol., p. 426
"The introduction, containing some account of the early use of wood-engraving in Europe, and of the invention of chalcography by Maso Finiguerra."--P. i-xxxvi.
BAC: British Art Center copy with engravings printed on India paper. Bound in 19th-centry gilt- and blind-stamped green morroco; bevelled boards. Gilt edges.
- Subject Terms:
- Engraving -- History.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1826.Engraving, Flemish -- Catalogs.Engraving, German -- Catalogs.Engraving, Italian -- Catalogs.Finiguerra, Maso, 1426-1464.M'Creery, J. -- PrinterNiello -- Specimens.
- Niello prints.
YCBA Collections Search
Ottley, William Young, 1771-1836, A collection of fac-similes of scarce and curious prints , 1826
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.