Ottley, William Young, 1771-1836, A collection of one hundred and twenty-nine fac-similes of scarce and curious prints , 1828
- A collection of one hundred and twenty-nine fac-similes of scarce and curious prints : by the early masters of the Italian, German, and Flemish schools : illustrative of the history of engraving, from the invention of the art, by Maso Finiguerra, in the middle of the fifteenth century : with introductary remarks, and a catalogue of the plates / by William Young Ottley.
- London : Published for the proprietor; and sold by Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green ..., printed by J. M'Creery, 1828.
- Physical Description:
- , xxxvi, xxv,  p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 40 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2009 76Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Guard sheets for plates bound in.
Advertisement, p. , indicates that there were to be two additional volumes (for a series of "upwards of three hundred plates") but no more appear to have been published.
Includes 12 niello prints (worked in silver).
BM (compact ed.) v. 19, 134
"The introduction, containing some account of the early use of wood-engraving in Europe, and of the invention of chalcography by Maso Finiguerra."--P. i-xxxvi.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary dark green half-morocco and green marbled boards. Bookplate: Lester Douglas.
- Subject Terms:
- Douglas, Lester -- Bookplate.Engraving -- History.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1828.Engraving, Flemish -- Catalogs.Engraving, German -- Catalogs.Engraving, Italian -- Catalogs.Finiguerra, Maso, 1426-1464.M'Creery, John, printer.Niello -- Specimens.
- Niello prints.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.